Monday, March 17, 2008

March 16th Update

This week marks the first anniversary of Tyler's diagnosis. It seems hard to fathom that just last year, my heart was shattered. The realities of life seemed to sneak up on all of us, and damaged our ignorance towards the attrocities of illness. I pass the Children's Hospital at least once a week, and I secretly say a prayer in thanks of Tyler's health. Today, when I passed it, I vividly remembered how I felt one year ago on the 13th. I remember visiting Tyler the first day he was admitted to the hospital. I attempted to keep a brave face when I saw him for the first time. Unfortunately, I cannot honestly say that I contained my emotions, and I specifically recall his frail little body curled in a ball on his hospital bed, his colour and his boyish energy drained completely. I remember the fear and agony I felt seeing him there and realizing how close we were to losing him and the powerlessness that we all felt in this whole situation.

I realize that we do not, in any way, have any control over what our future brings. I can however be extremely thankful for Tyler's health. I am thankful for all the technology and machines that have aided in diagnosing and battling Tyler's cancer. I am thankful for each and every employee of the Children's Hospital who may have simply placed a smile on his face, and that of Darla and Mark. I am thankful to the parents, children and employees of St. Lawrence Elementary School who helped in any capacity that they could to make the Wallis' life a bit easier, or who simply asked how we were doing. I am especially thankful to all those who prayed for healing for our little man.

In sharing our memories of this past year with my family, I realized that although it has only been a year, all this seems like so long ago. When we were in the thick of it, it seemed to last an eternity. Now that things have settled a bit, it seems as though things took place ages ago. When I pick up my son from the Wallis' house everyday, I am usually greeted by Tyler at the door. Before he became ill, Tyler and Bethany used to greet us at the door by running down the hall screaming. I can remember yearning to hear Tyler's laugh and squeals. I now take a moment everyday to appreciate this, and many other finer things that I might have taken for granted. Please continue to pray for his healing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kara,

I was given the address of Tyler's Blog by a close friend of your sisters, Laurie Colton. I found out a week ago that the son of my very close friend Linda has been diagnosed with leukemia. Like Tyler he has been diagnosed with ALL. It has been shocking and earth shattering for everyone. Linda and Paolo's request has been simlply...pray. As I read your entries, I see that that has been a crucial thing for you and your family. I will be asking everyone that loves and is praying for Lucas to also include Tyler in their prayers. I would also ask that you now include Lucas in the prayers you say each day. I hope when we see each other we will have only positive news to share with each other. Thanks for doing this, I will pass this on to Linda and Paolo in hopes that they will gain strength from Tyler's story and that of your family.
God bless,

Roberta Filiatrault

Doris said...

Hi,
I am a mom from St. Lawrence school. Since I have only been a part of the community since september, I have not had much of an opportunity to get to know many other parents or children. Upon receiving the tragic news about Aden this week, I googled the Tyler Wallis fund and found your wonderful blog. Even though I never had the good fortune to know Aden, I would like your family to know that Tyler will be in my thoughts and prayers as he continues his brave battle. He sounds like an amazing kid! Sending you lots of positive thoughts and good wishes from me and my boys,
Doris Alves
I also have a blog that I haven't updated in a while, but you're welcome to visit:
http://www.dorisalves.blogspot.com